Treat him like a celeb this Father’s Day with these recipes from star dads.
Robert Redford’s Terrific Green Olive Salad
Serves 6 – 8
• 250g frozen artichoke hearts
• 1 cup boiling water
• 1 head cos or romaine lettuce, torn up
• 1 cup mung bean sprouts
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 4 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
• 2 level teaspoons granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 1 cup pimento-stuffed olives
Add artichoke hearts to boiling water, but remove pan from heat and let stand for 2 minutes. Drain and chill.
Combine artichoke hearts, lettuce, bean sprouts and stuffed olives.
For the dressing, mix vegetable oil, wine vinegar, dill, parsley, sugar, salt, mustard and pepper. Place in a jar and shake well.
Before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss.
Tom Cruise’s Spaghetti Carbonara
• Two drops olive oil (for frying pan)
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 1 chopped onion
• 8 to 12 thick slices Italian bacon
• 4 eggs
• Packet of spaghetti
• 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Cut bacon in small squares.
In frying pan, combine olive oil, garlic, onion and bacon, and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
Beat eggs with salt and ground pepper, in a separate bowl.
Cook spaghetti in salted water until done, drain and then add egg mixture. Keep the spaghetti and egg mixture on heat until eggs are cooked.
Add frying pan mixture to spaghetti and stir.
Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
Elton John’s Shrimp Curry
• ¼ cup butter
• 4 large, chopped onions
• 3 cloves, chopped garlic
• 3 cups water or coconut milk
• 3 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
• 1 cup chopped celery
• 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
• 1 small piece ginger root (or ¾ teaspoon powdered ginger)
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1½ tablespoon curry powder (or more)
• 1½ tablespoon flour
• 1½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1.5kg raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
Heat butter in large skillet, then add onions, garlic and cook until lightly browned.
Add water or coconut milk and bring to a boil.
Then add tomatoes, apples, celery, shredded coconut, and ginger and bring back to a boil.
Combine sugar, curry powder, flour, salt and pepper, and make a paste with cold water.
Gradually stir paste into boiling mixture.
Partially cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.
Barack Obama’s Family Chilly
• 1 large, chopped onion
• 1 chopped green pepper
• 3 cloves chopped garlic
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 450g minced beef
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon ground basil
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• tomato, several depending on size, chopped
• 1 can red kidney beans
Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
Add ground meat and brown.
Combine spices into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
Add red wine vinegar.
Add tomatoes and simmer until tomatoes are cooked.
Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
Serve over white or brown rice.
Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.
Kiefer Sutherland’s Minute Steak with Mushroom Gravy
• 500g minute steaks, cut into four pieces
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 chopped onion
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 2 cups sliced mushrooms
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1/2 cup beef stock
• 1/2 cup red wine
• 1 tablespoon red currant or grape jam
In a large skillet, heat butter and oil.
Cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until well browned.
Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add onion and garlic to skillet, reduce heat and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are golden brown.
Sprinkle with flour and mix well, then add beef stock, wine and jam.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until gravy thickens.
Return steaks to mushroom gravy and simmer for 2 minutes or until heated, turning once.
William Shatner’s Cappuccino Chip Muffins
Makes 8 – 12 muffins
• 2 cups flour
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup milk at room temp
• 1/2 cup melted and cooled butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips or equivalent of other chips
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and spray a muffin tray with cooking spray.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, espresso powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg lightly, and then whisk in milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
Make a hole in center of dry ingredients and pour in milk mixture, and stir until evenly blended.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Spoon batter into muffin tray and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.