It’s that time of the year again when we (most of us, anyway) forget about the day that is filled with hearts and pink and red presents. If you’ve run out of time on the gift buying side, why not create a delicious meal for your loved one using Freshpak, which is South Africa’s No.1 rooibos brand. Here are two of our favourite recipes – We think they could hit the spot.
Rose Petal Iced Tea
1. Pour boiling water over the tea bags and leave to steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
2. Allow tea to cool and then add the rose syrup and the food colouring and stir.
3. To serve, add lots of ice and garnish with fresh rose petals.
Smoked Salmon Trout on a Rooibos infused ‘blini’ with fennel and red onion crème fraiche
For 12 canapés
For the blini-
50g cake flour
7ml instant yeast
150 ml milk
1 Freshpak rooibos tea bag
2 egg whites
30 ml olive oil
For the crème fraiche-
60 ml crème fraiche
½ red onion
10g fresh fennel
120g smoked salmon trout
To make the blini’s:
- Place flour and salt into a bowl with the instant yeast. Create a well in the centre of the flour.
- Place milk and Freshpak Rooibos into a saucepan over a low heat and warm through. Allow to steep.
- Pour the warm milk into the well in the flour, mixing thoroughly to form a thick batter. Set aside in warm area for one hour and allow to prove.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter mixture.
- Heat a small amount of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add a spoonful of batter and fry for 45-60 seconds, until golden brown underneath, then turn and cook for another 30 seconds. Place on kitchen paper. Repeat this process with the remaining batter.
To make the crème fraiche´:
- Very finely chop the red onion. Place into a sieve and pour over some boiling water to remove harsh onion flavour. Allow to drain.
- Finely chop the fennel. Add to the crème fraiche with the red onion. Mix in well. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Place a dollop of the crème fraiche mixture onto each blini. Top with a piece of smoked salmon trout and garnish with micro herbs.
Other articles you may be interested in: