As the new year sets in, we’re inclined to make radical resolutions: this year I will finally change my life. But if you’re anything like me, that tactic has not been working as well as it might…
But if you do one simple thing a week, by the end of 52 weeks, things could be very different.
1. Tidy out your make-up bag. When was the last time you used that crusty lipstick? Toss it out! Give your bag a wipe – everything will look brand new.
2. Practice random acts of senseless kindness. It’s good for you, and the unsuspecting recipient of your goodwill.
3. Stand in front of the mirror once a month and give yourself a breast examination, to check for any hidden lumps.
4. Before going to bed, wash your face; it will get rid of the day’s impurities.
5. Throw away your make-up sponges at least once a week. Can you imagine how much dirt collects in them? Or at the very least, wash them.
6. Train at least three times a week to obtain that healthy looking glow and toned body! Or in the spirit of this piece, start off with once a week, and once that becomes a snap, up the number of times you exercise.
7. Exfoliate at least once a week with a body scrub and exfoliating gloves; your body will love you!
8. Turn down the temperature a little bit – a boiling hot shower tends to dry out your skin. It will also reduce your electricity bill.
9. Use a heat protectant spray before applying a heat tool to your hair. This will help avoid excess damage to your lovely locks.
10. Kick the bad habit of nail biting. Paint your nails with bitter aloe; it tastes so nasty you will be instantly cured!
11. Add a smidge of eye cream to your nightly routine. It’s never too late to help prevent wrinkles and fine lines.
12. Eat your five fruit and veg a day.
13. Chuck that mascara away every six months, or sooner if it smells. It becomes a lovely breeding ground for bacteria!
14. Give yourself a boost by taking a multivitamin every day.
15. Clean your make-up brushes at least once a week; build up can cause unnecessary infections and breakouts.
16. Apply body lotion after your shower, and before you’re completely dry. The lotion will be absorbed better by damp skin than bone-dry skin.
17. Floss your teeth daily. Brushing your teeth only gets rid of about 65% of plaque, so by adding some string between your teeth, you’ll rid the other 35%. It’s totally worth the effort.
18. Get your cholesterol tested. And while you’re at it, check your blood pressure. Knowing your numbers could save your life.
19. As the weather cools down, remember to still wear sunscreen. UV rays are still as strong. Apply to your hands and face (if the rest of your body is mostly covered).
20. Avoid hair breakage by towel drying your hair gently before combing it. Then start combing out the knots and tangles at the ends first and work your way up, using a wide-toothed comb.
21. Throw your extra pennies into that tin box sitting by the till next time you’re shopping. A small difference goes a long way.
22. Steer clear of sunbeds. Try out the hundreds of self-tanning products available on the market.
23. Stop splitting your split ends. We know its fun, but it causes more damage. Rather cut just above the split if you’re tempted.
24. Eat more super-foods like salmon, almonds and green veg. These will help promote healthy skin and hair.
25. Paint your cheeks. By adding some blush and creating rosy cheeks, you will instantly look uplifted and healthy.
26. Make sure you get your beauty sleep. Six to eight hours is a must.