Bobbi Brown believes in highlighting your beauty, not hiding your age, as she reveals in this article from Redbook:
Ask Bobbi Brown for her secret to looking younger and her immediate response is, “I never use the word younger – I prefer to say better.” At 55, the make-up maestro and creator of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics has learned plenty of transformative beauty tricks, but she still believes that less is more. “In the past, if a woman felt she was starting to look old, she’d hide under a ton of make-up,” Bobbi says. “Now, we know the impact that good skin care, diet, and exercise can have on our skin, so we’re more empowered about how we age.” That idea sparked the concept for Bobbi’s newest book, “Pretty Powerful”, which features her tips along with advice from real women and celebrities such as Lauren Bush and Blythe Danner. “It shows women of all ages, with and without make-up on, to really drive home that it’s about enhancing what you have, not covering up,” she says. Of course, she practices what she preaches with these simple, savvy essentials.
1. DOUBLE MOISTURISER. “I layer my moisturisers, which makes my complexion so fresh, I can wear less foundation. First I smooth on a lighter lotion, then I follow with a rich cream, and I swear, I instantly look five years younger. And I blend both of them in with a foundation brush so I’m evenly hydrated.”
2. PALE EYE SHADOW. “Many women like to wear nude eye shadow during the day, but it doesn’t really do much for you. Instead, try one that’s a few shades lighter than your skin tone. I brush my eye shadow in Bone all over my lids, and it immediately makes me seem more awake. If you have olive skin, try a peachy shade, and for dark skin, go with a camel hue.”
3. A TUB OF COCONUT OIL. “I buy a jar of it at the drugstore and use it as body lotion. It makes my skin incredibly soft and smooth – and it’s cheap, so I don’t mind going through it fast. I also put a drop or two of it in my hair to get it really shiny. Glossy hair is always youthful.”
4. LOW-SHINE LIPS. “I don’t believe any lip shade is off-limits, but texture is key. A sheer lipstick in a healthy pink or neutral color looks more polished and grown-up than a super-shiny gloss. Our number-one-selling lip color, Brownie – the first one I ever created – gives you that effect. It’s the colour I wish my lips were naturally.”
5. SANE WORKOUTS. “I used to think that if I didn’t have time to do an hour-long workout class, there wasn’t any point in exercising. But now, I make sure to do a little something every day: a brisk walk for 10 minutes, climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator. Then a few times a week, I do a longer workout. My friends who exercise a little every day look the best, by far.”
6. SMART SNACKS. “I stopped eating flour three years ago, and since then I’ve seen a huge difference in my skin. I also have more energy and better focus. Also, the more fibre I eat, the less I snack, so I sprinkle a raw fibre powder in a smoothie or yogurt and have it in the morning and then again around late afternoon.”
7. THE RIGHT COCKTAIL. “I gave up wine because it makes my face so puffy the next day. Now I enjoy a good vodka or tequila on the rocks!”
Written by Victoria Kirby, this article originally appeared in Redbook.
Image: lev radin/Shutterstock.com