It’s a good idea to know your body shape and to dress for that shape; it’s far more flattering – and we at BeautySouthAfrica.com are all about looking the best we can (rather than blindly following fashion or celebs).
Although they’re also known by flattering names like an athletic body shape, or long and lean, rectangle body shapes have a few style challenges of their own. Check out this personal style guide that’s all about dressing and flattering your rectangle body shape:
WHAT IS A RECTANGLE BODY SHAPE?
Rectangle body shapes are characterised by waist, hip and shoulder widths that are all similar to each other. The outline of your body won’t have many curves so you’ll need to use a few style secrets to create some.
WHICH CELEBRITIES HAVE RECTANGLE BODY SHAPES?
Famous females with rectangle body shapes include Natalie Portman, Cameron Diaz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman and Gwen Stefani.
HOW TO DRESS A RECTANGLE-SHAPED BODY
1. Create curves. Look for scoop-neck and sweetheart tops that help create curves. Belt your waist to create more of an hourglass figure. Wear tops with collars, ruffles and details to flatter your chest.
2. Go lean. Wear long jackets to create a lean look and emphasise your narrow rectangle body shape.
3. Layer it up. Layering adds more dimensions to a simple rectangle body shape.
4. Support those girls. Stylists can’t say it enough – a well-fitting bra is essential for rectangle body shapes, which tend to be boyish. The right bra will make the most of the curves you have.
5. Pants are easy. Because of your rectangle body shape, you can wear most trouser styles and don’t have to worry about them being too tight. In fact, clothes that hug your body will create the illusion of curves.
A well-chosen outfit that is flattering to your body shape is going to do far more for your appearance and confidence than any latest designer garb that doesn’t do anything for your particular look.
This article originally appeared in Loving You