It’s a good idea to know your body shape and to dress for that shape; it’s far more flattering – and we at BeautySouthAfrica.com are all about looking the best we can (rather than blindly following fashion or celebs).
The apple body shape is characterised by broad shoulders, a large bust, narrow hips, slim thighs, a flat rear end and an undefined waistline. Famous females with apple body shapes include Catherine Zeta-Jones, Tyra Banks, Elizabeth Hurley, Rosie O’Donnell and Angelina Jolie. Here’s how to flaunt your best features by wearing clothing that draws attention away from your waist and creates balance.
1. Elongate your top. Find a v-neck that glides over your body and lengthens your top; this has a natural slimming effect. Don’t go too tight or too loose, though.
2. Add a belt. Add slimming definition to your waist with a belt over a dress or long blouse.
3. Monochromatic outfits. Lengthen and slim your apple silhouette with the same colour on top and bottom. Mix it up with varying shades of the same colour and different fabric combinations.
4. Support those girls. With a full bust, a properly fitting bra can completely change your look.
5. Avoid tapered, tight bottoms. Boot-cut and flared jeans give a long and lean look. Too-tight and tapered jeans fail in creating a clean, straight line from the waist down.
A well-chosen outfit that is flattering to your body shape (and not a beanpole model) is going to do far more for your appearance and confidence than any latest designer garb that doesn’t do anything for your particular look.