Nude lipstick is perfect for all seasons and occasions. It’s a great everyday shade and gives you that ‘natural’ look, while still flashing a pop of colour.
If you think it’s too dull and does nothing for your look, think again. There’s a misconception that ‘nude’ lipstick means one shade – a light beige colour. What nude actually refers to is a colour that’s neutral or very similar to the colour of your skin, therefore, anything from porcelain, through to caramel, dark brown and ebony are considered ‘nudes.’
Finding the perfect hue for you may be tricky because you could easily look washed out – or like you have no lips, and seriously Kylie Jenner taught us better than that. So when we started looking for the best nude shades, we considered everything from beige, to copper, hazelnut and chocolate. It turns out, the answer was erm, closer than we thought.
A recent video posted by the popular TV show, The Doctors went viral after revealing that the simplest way to find the ideal nude for you is actually linked to the colour of your nipples! Who knew?
Certified physician, Dr Travis Lane Stork, says, “We have a great way to pick your best shade for your face. What you want to do (is) you want to match your nipple colour. Nature knows best.”
The verdict: We tried it and 9 out 10 giggling and slightly hesitant beauties learned that the colour of their nips actually helped them find the perfect nude lip! The trick may not be as full proof with porcelain and darker skin tones, so be sure to do your checks first. To avoid side-eyes and stares, do remember to check before you go shopping. The practicalities of trying this test at the beauty counter may raise more than a few eyebrows or get you some arrested attention.
Here’s a beautiful variety of warm shades we recommend you try this winter:
1. Bodyography in Jane -R230
2. CATRICE in Cool Brown 460 – R79, 95
3. Essence – Time for a coffee break? – R49,95
4. Elizabeth Arden in Nude – R475
5. Rimmel in Ain’t No Other 760 – R119,95
6. L.A Girl Matte Flat Velvet in Hush – R49,95
7. Bobbi Brown in Italian Rose – R365
8. Yardley Supermoist in Soft Nude – R109,95
9. Rimmel The Only 1 Matte Lipstick in Look Who’s Talking – R119,95
10. Mii Passion Matte Lip Lover in Bare 01 – R315
11. Revlon Colour Burst in Sultry – R155
12. L.O.V Lip Affair in Gesine’s Redwood 501 – R229,95
13. Mac – Mascu-linity – R240
Will you be doing the test? Let us know if it works for you. Good luck finding the perfect shade!