There are no set rules when it comes to Valentine’s Day. A picnic on the beach, date at the movies or dinner at a special restaurant… no matter what your preference (or who you choose to spend the day with), one thing is certain: you want your makeup to last all day (and night), with minimal maintenance in between. These are our top tips for the ultimate show-stopping Valentine’s Day makeup look:
- Keep your foundation light or opt for a tinted moisturiser or BB cream. Not only will you look more relaxed and like yourself, but you also won’t have to apologise for foundation stains on your date’s shirt collar!
- Prime and set your makeup to ensure it lasts well into the night. If you’re wearing eyeshadow, an eyelid primer is essential to keep it in place. A few spritzes of makeup setting spray when your look is complete will ensure you don’t need any touch up’s.
- If your skin gets oily, pop some blotting paper in your handbag to soak up excess oil throughout the day. Gently pat the oily areas and watch your skin magically become matte again – a way better option than piling on more powder!
- There’s nothing like a healthy glow, so play around with blushers and highlighters to find your perfect shade. A bit of highlighter along the top of your cheekbones and below the brow bone make an unexpectedly big difference.
- Don’t be scared of pink and red lipsticks. There’s a red for everyone, no matter what your skin tone or hair colour. If there’s one day of the year to really show off a brilliant red, it’s this one! Red and pink make great nail colours for Valentine’s Day too.
- Last but not least: mascara, mascara, mascara. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, make sure yours leave a lasting impression. Mascara really is a girl’s best friend, and leaves you looking rested and bright eyed.
Not sure where to start, product-wise? Here are the tools of the trade we’d recommend:
GOSH Kiss Me! Matte Lips in Scarlett Kiss, R160.00 │ RVBLAB The Make Up Lipstick in 11, R280.00 │ Avon Mark Liquid Lip Lacquer Matte in Flushed, R199.90 │ Almay Goddess Gloss in Flame, R119.90 │ MAC Powder Kiss Lipstick in Lasting Passion, R250.00 │ L. A. Girl MATTE Flat Velvet Lipstick in Gossip, R49.95 │ Revlon Kiss Cushion Lip Tints in Berry Lit & Crimson Feels, R139.95 │ GOSH Favourite Lip Collection, R395.00 │ Palladio Velvet Matte Cream Lip Colour in Plush, R109.95 │ Avon Colortrend Kiss n Go Lipstick in Muscate Wine, R79.90 │ L.A. Girl Perfect Precision Lip Liner in Reddish, R25.00.
Hannon Super Lash Black Mascara, R240.00 │ L. A. Girl Inspiring Eyeshadow Palette in ‘get glam & get going’, R119.95 │ Yardley Volume Extreme Mascara, R89.95 │ Revlon Colorstay Eyeshadow Primer, R179.00 │ RVBLAB The Make Up Essential Nude Eyeshadow Palette, R845.00 │ essence #lashes of the day super volume mascara, R54.95 │ Coverderm Camouflage Perfect Lashes Waterproof Mascara, R365.00 │ Urban Decay Naked Cherry Palette, R875.00.
Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray, R460.00 │ Palladio Rice Paper, R69.95 │ Hannon Brazilian Tan Blusher, R230.00 │ Coverderm Finishing Powder, R495.00 │ Sisley Phyto Blush Twist in Passion, R765.00 │ L.A. Girl Luminous Glow Illuminating Powder, R79.95 │ CATRICE 3D Glow Highlighter, R79.95 │ Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Wear Foundation, R550.00.