The Body Shop has been in South Africa for 10 years! Has it really been that long? I can remember having to bring back Body Shop products on my trips to London for my friends! Well, happy 10th birthday to you!
And to celebrate, the fabulous Karim Sattar, make-up artist for The Body Shop was at the Cellars Hohenhort to show beauty editor types some of the shimmering, sexy colours they are bringing out. And join us for High Tea. He was quite something, keeping a room full of ladies (and a few men) laughing and engaged with his humour and passion. And boy is he loving South Africa! Well, who can blame him?
Baked-to-last colours – they have them in eye duos (R120), blushes (R130) and bronzers (R170) – have been, you guessed it, baked! On terracotta discs in Italy, no less. Apparently this process renders the colours intense and vibrant and enduring. Just the way we like them!
The Extra Virgin Minerals range is one I find particularly exciting: 100% pure mineral ultra-blendable foundations in three formats: a cream-to-powder compact (R205), with a brush hidden in a compartment underneath, which elicited oohs and aahs from the audience; a liquid foundation (R195), and a radiant finish loose powder (R185).
Things I learned from Karim:
• If you can feel yourself tearing up, close your eyes and swallow! He was using it in terms of if you poke your eye with your eyeliner, so I don’t know if it will work when your boss shouts at you and you don’t want to shame yourself by crying. I will certainly report back on this one!
• Apply foundation with one side of a large brush – use the other side to even out the texture
• Use a spritz of The Body Shop’s Vitamin E Face Mist (R115) to set your make-up.
• The ideal face is 21cms long. Well, that’s me out of the running then.
• Roll your eyeliner between your hands to warm it and soften it slightly if it feels too hard on your eyes.
• When you have loaded your brush with eye shadow, press it against your eyelid before blending in. This way, you prevent excess eye shadow from dropping down to your cheeks.
• Hairspray on your face (you heard me) will stop it from sweating. But I think that’s only handy for if you are on live TV.
• Karim loves the smokey eye WITHOUT mascara. This drew disapproving mutterings from the beauty editor types, but he was insistent. I share it with you for what it is worth.
Karim will be at the Look and Feel Good Expo (16-18 September) at the CTICC in Cape Town on Saturday 17 from 12-2pm.The Look and Feel Good Expo will be in Jo’burg at the Coca-Cola dome from 7-9 October?