We chatted exclusively to Linda O’Connell, Make-up Artist and Brand Ambassador for Maybelline NY, SA, to find out more about her favourite make-up products, and what it’s like to be a professional make-up artist.
1. How long have you been in industry?
I think it’s been about 17 years now, and I still love it!
2. Have you always been with Maybelline?
No, I was with another international brand before Maybelline, but Maybelline brought me over and ever since they have felt like my like my cosmetic family.
3. What have been some of the highlights in your career working as a make-up artist?
Working on New York Fashion Week shows (Maybelline is the make-up sponsor for NYFW) like Betsey Jonson, Lacoste and DKNY, with the world’s best designers and models is an absolute thrill!
4. Which celebrity / model’s face that have you worked on has been your best?
Kimora Lee Simmons was a fun experience, and I had no idea Djimon Hounsou was in the other room until he walked out while we were doing make-up! Queue the jaw drop!
5. What do you prefer – shows or shoots?
Honestly, I love both. I enjoy the energy and frenzy that comes with shows, but I love shoots just as much.
6. Which cover star have you worked on recently?
Katryn Kruger is one of my absolute favourite faces to paint. Our shoot together for Marie Claire SA was put on the front of her card by her New York Agent, IMG. IMG represent some of the biggest names in the industry, like Giselle, Chanel Iman and Charlotte Free so that was a great reflection of our SA talents!
7. Do you prefer creating out-the-box looks or traditional ones?
I love crafting traditional looks as they are always more detailed and intricate than people think. But the “out-the-box” looks get my creative juices flowing and I thrive on those too.
8. Does everyone look better with make-up on?
Without question, yes! Even perfect models all need a little help here and there.
9. Number one Spring / Summer trend?
I love the dusty pastel lilac eye washes for Rochas and the metallic copper looks at Jason Wu.
10. Favourite product you can’t live without?
Maybelline Go-Extreme mascara!
11. One product every girl should own?
Maybelline Baby Lips – there is a full range from “peach kiss” to my favourite “strike a rose”. I think these will be the next big icon product we will have in our bags for years to come!
12. What is in your personal make-up bag?
Mascara, concealer, eye pencil and Baby Lips.
13. What do you do if the model you are going to be shooting with has bad skin?
If time allows I give her skin a quick exfoliation. This gets rid of any dead skin and build-up, making the skin a much smoother surface to work on. I then use moisturiser and a skin primer, before I start with a foundation. Prepping skin is an important part of good make-up.
14. What’s your take on BB and CC creams?
I am a big fan of both and love a lightweight foundation combined with care benefits they provide. But I would suggest you use additional sunblock when being in the sun, don’t rely on BB or CC cream for adequate sun protection.
Other articles you may be interested in:
Hair trends from SA Fashion Week
Behind the scenes at MBCT Fashion Week 2013
Top tips from MAC’s senior make-up artist
MAC Spring / Summer 2014 trends
Spring and beauty with Shiseido’s artistic director