What is an alpha hydroxy or glycolic peel?
A superficial alpha hydroxy (AHA) chemical peel (also known as a glycolic peel) is a quick, no downtime procedure that renews the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin and stimulating metabolism of the cells underneath.
What preparation of the skin is needed prior to an exfoliation procedure?
After your initial consultation, you will be given a brightening cream which must be applied to the entire face daily for 10 to 14 days before the peeling process can begin. This will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory pigmentation that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
What results can be expected after an AHA Peel?
• Fine lines and wrinkles become less apparent
• Skin tone evens out and there is an improvement of overall skin colour
• Texture becomes more refined and smooth
• Oily or acne-prone skin is improved
• Tired, damaged skin is hydrated
• Enlarged pores appear smaller and spots minimised
• Colour and smoothness of old scars is improved
• Skin appears healthier and more youthful
• Skin glows and is radiant
What results can be expected after an alpha hydroxy acid chemical peel?
• Usually the skin is normal immediately after a mild AHA peel and make-up may be applied after your session.
• Depending upon the strength of the AHA chemical peel, a mild redness of the skin may occur following the procedure followed by mild scaling that ends within three to seven days.
• Mild AHA peels may be repeated at one- to four-week intervals for a series of six peels until the desired clinical effect is achieved. With each additional treatment, you should see incremental gains in the overall appearance of the skin.
• Your skin usually feels tighter and smoother but you may also feel a little sting or itch.
• You will care for your skin by using a mild non-abrasive cleanser or other mild products for five days as well as protecting your new skin with adequate sunscreen of SPF30 or higher with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as an active ingredient.
• In addition, it is best to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
How many treatment sessions are needed?
Results can be seen after the third or fourth treatment. For best results four to eight treatments are needed, two weeks apart.
For more information on Alpha Hydroxy Peels visit Skin & Body Renewal.
Image: Yuri Arcurs/Shutterstock.com