Which active ingredients should not be used in conjunction with one another? For example, if I use a retinol night cream, can I use an AHA exfoliator?
Skincare expert and founder of Skin & Body Renewal, Dr Maureen Allem, responds:
“There are so many amazing active ingredients for skin on the market at the moment. It’s quite a big ask to cover them all. But I would say if you just keep a few things in mind, you should be alright:
1) Do not use your growth factor products in the same application as your AHA’s and BHA’s;
2) Use your retinoids at night;
3) Use your antioxidants during the day;
4) If your AHA exfoliator is quite strong, don’t use this on the same night as what you apply your retinoid;
5) Be careful of using toners with a very low pH in the same application as your anti-ageing peptides (so if you use an AHA toner that is very strong, you need to wait about 30mins before you apply your peptides and/or growth factors).”
Are you using any active ingredients?
You can ask Dr Allem your skincare questions here.
Other articles you may be interested in:
Which products are worth the splurge, and which should you be saving on?
Which natural ingredients are beneficial to my skin?
What does it mean if I break out on my chin?
Will bleaching my facial hair damage my skin?
All products irritate my skin, what can I do?