If you suffer from dark spots, hyperpigmentation or uneven skin tone, don’t despair. With the correct serum, moisturiser and lifestyle choices, you can significantly reduce their appearance and prevent more from forming.
So what exactly are dark spots, how do they form and how do we get rid of them?
Dark spots and pigmentation are common skin concerns for women all over the world, but they’re particularly common in South Africa. Discolouration develops over time and usually affects women in their 30s and onwards although it’s sometimes visible in younger skin too. Dark spots are a result of an uneven distribution of melanin in the skin. There are a number of reasons why this might happen, but the most common ones are:
• Trauma caused to the skin, for example acne scarring;
• Certain medications (regardless of whether you go into contact with the sun or not);
• Excessive sun exposure;
• UV light exposure;
• Environmental stress.
Dark spots can appear anywhere on the face and can be very difficult to cover up. Here are our top tips on how to minimise their appearance and prevent them from getting worse:
1. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen everyday to help prevent premature age spots and discolouration. Even if you’re driving or spending most of your time in the office, get into the habit of applying sunscreen – it takes just a few minutes of exposure to cause further damage.
2. Stick to a good, daily skincare routine to nourish and protect your skin.
3. Make use of an exfoliator to help clean up your surface layer and improve your skin’s natural radiance.
4. Apply targeted products to your spots to help diminish any blemishes and brighten your skin.
5. Always remember that prevention is better than cure! As soon as the first signs appear, treat them before they get more noticeable (and more difficult to treat).
We’re really excited about the new Enlighten product range from Estée Lauder, consisting of a Dark Spot Correcting Night Serum and an Even Skintone Correcting Crème. Designed to reduce dark spots and uneven skin tone, these products contain intensive skin tone correcting technology to correct discolouration. Antioxidants in the serum help prevent further dark spots from forming, while the crème’s targeted skin brighteners and intense moisture help give your skin a natural glow. This power couple is taking the world of discolouration by storm – not only are they highly effective, but they’re suitable for all skin types and ethnicities too.
When used together twice daily, significant results can be seen within four weeks, and as your journey with the products continue, you’ll see even better results develop over time.
Learn more, and purchase your Estée Lauder Enlighten products on esteelauder.co.za here.
Other articles you may be interested in:
Bid farewell to dark spots with Estée Lauder’s Enlighten range
Does lemon juice lighten dark spots?
The importance of SPF in winter
Bright as a button skincare treats
The top anti-ageing procedures