Laser hair removal is the most effective treatment available and is medically proven to give a permanent hair reduction. The procedure is quick and easy and a few treatments can reduce the hair anywhere on the face and body.
Helpful tips to ensure effective hair removal results:
• It is imperative that the hair is present in the shaft (no waxing or plucking – although shaving is allowed) as the laser uses laser light energy to destroy the germ cell by heating the hair in the base of the hair follicle.
• Laser hair removal only treats the hair follicle when it is in the anagen or “growing” phase, necessitating treatments every six to eight weeks.
• There is some discomfort during the procedure which most people find to be mild and tolerable.
• Laser hair removal works best on light skin with dark hair. It is not as effective for blonde, white or grey hair.
• Black skin responds well to only one type of laser, the Nd: YAG or Coolglide Excel laser system
• Best results for laser hair removal are obtained when there is no previous suntan or sun exposure on the treated areas. If there is sun exposure, lower settings have to be used which makes the treatment less effective.
• Ingrown hairs can safely be treated in all skin types within two sessions using the Nd: YAG, a Class 1V medical laser system
Usually eight to 10 treatment sessions are necessary for permanent hair reduction. Touch-up treatments annually or biannually are required to maintain results.
The total cost depends on the size of the area to be treated as well as factors like hair density and number of treatments required.
A proper laser hair removal system such as the Cutera Coolglide and Excel laser system cannot be compared to an entry level IPL system. An IPL hair removal device is not a laser and cannot be used on darker skin types.