We all agree – once you have a baby, getting out and about is not as easy as it once was! Whether it’s a quick outing to visit friends or family, a weekend away or your annual holiday at the coast, travelling with baby takes far more planning and baggage.
But don’t let that put you off! Apart from the fact that you need the stimulation of getting out, babies also benefit from experiences out of home, provided they feel secure and comfortable. The trick is to pre-plan and develop a workable system that will help ensure you both enjoy getting out and about.
Babies become niggly when they’re hungry, hot and sticky or in need of a nappy change. Since you don’t want your baby to associate this discomfort with “going out,” make sure you’re well prepared to cater for her needs.
Here are some tips from moms:
- Take enough food and drink for your baby in case you are delayed or stuck in traffic;
- Dress baby in easy-on, easy-off clothes and add layers for warmth;
- Take spare clothes and extra nappies in case of accidents;
- Accept that road trips will take longer with a baby because you need to build in lots of little breaks, stopping every two to four hours;
- Take a new toy as well as a couple of favourite ones;
- Your baby’s skin is vulnerable to sunlight so ensure you can provide shade in the car and at your destination. Don’t forget sunscreen;
- Keep a look out for travel size products that are easy to pop into a nappy bag and will allow you to maintain your baby’s essential routines with a minimum of fuss.
Recommended travel products: JOHNSON’S® Baby Skincare Wipes
- This hero product is an essential in any nappy bag.
- The travel pack containing 20 wipes is small and compact.
- Ideal for nappy changes, cleaning little faces and sticky hands.
- These soft cloth wipes cleanse gently but effectively and contain special moisturisers to protect and condition the skin.
- The NO MORE TEARS® formula means that they can safely be used to cleanse the delicate areas around a baby’s face and eyes.
- Ideal for removing mom’s make-up.
- RSP: R19.95 (20’s)
JOHNSON’S® Baby TOP TO TOE® Wash 125ml
- The ultra mild formula is designed to cleanse both baby’s hair and skin, so one product does the work of two.
- Milder than any soap, it cleans without drying the skin or hair.
- Hypoallergenic and gentle enough for newborns.
- RSP: R18.95 (125ml)
JOHNSON’S® Baby Powder 100 grams
- Helps keep baby cool and comfortable by speeding up evaporation, thereby creating a cooling effect on the skin.
- Helps absorb perspiration and unwanted moisture that can cause discomfort.
- Leaves a soft, lubricating layer between skin surfaces and between skin and clothes, helping to reduce friction by up to 70%*
- RSP: R14.95 (100 grams)
JOHNSON’S® Baby Oil
- Ideal for a soothing baby massage at bedtime.
- Add a few drops to baby or mom’s bath water to help keep skin soft.
- RSP: R21.95 (125ml)
JOHNSON’S® Baby Jelly
- Use at nappy changes.
- Spread on baby’s chin to protect from dribble.
Apply to cracked lips, feet or elbows.Other small sized products include JOHNSON’S® Baby Shampoo (R21.95 – 125ml), Moisturising Lotion (R23.95 – 125ml) and Oil (R21.95 – 125ml).
®TRADEMARK ©JOHNSON & JOHNSON (PTY) LTD 2013.
Talk to us on sharecall 0860 410 032 or SMS jnj and your comment to 083 293 3273 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WIN one of two JOHNSON’S® Baby hampers worth R1 250! Each hamper consists of a variety of JOHNSON’S® Baby products, including travel sized ones that are ideal for popping into your nappy bag, as well as a Baby Sense Cuddle Wrap and Denim Sling to make it easy to carry your baby anywhere. With this hamper, you will be able to ensure your baby stays clean and comfortable so that you both enjoy the experience of getting out and about.
To stand a chance of winning, tell us your special tips about travelling with a baby in the comment section below.
Other articles you may be interested in:
Natural cures for those pregnancy pains
Returning to the old you
Does your beauty routine change when you become a mom?
Hair and your baby bump