Question: Do I have Endometriosis?

Could you tell me more about endometriosis? I get very bad period pain and am wondering if I am perhaps an undiagnosed endometriosis sufferer. What are some of the symptoms, how does one get tested and how do you know if you have it?


Endometriosis is a condition where the same tissue that forms the lining of the uterus is found growing in areas outside of the uterus. Common sites where this tissue is found include the ovaries and fallopian tubes, but in some cases it can be found in areas such is the abdomen. The areas where these tissues are found bleed every month with menstruation and causes inflammation, pain and scarring in these areas. The most common symptoms of Endometriosis are pelvic pain and infertility. Pain during menstruation is very common in Endometriosis patients and they may also experience pain during sex. Up to 25% of woman with Endometriosis have no symptoms at all. The cause is not well understood but one theory is that it is caused by oestrogen dominance. Oestrogen dominance is when your oestrogen levels are too high and progesterone levels are too low. The diagnosis is usually made based on symptoms and can be confirmed by medical imaging techniques such as MRI or ultrasound. A doctor may also order a laparoscopy and take a biopsy of a lesion to confirm the diagnosis. There is no real cure for Endometriosis and treatment aims to manage the condition by managing the pain and inflammation it causes, and treatment for infertility associated with Endometriosis. There are many treatment options, including surgery for more serious cases. At Health Renewal our team of expert doctors are particularly well trained to identify hormone imbalances and correct them. We can also manage the pain and inflammation with natural products that are very effective, without any side-effects. If you are having a lot of pain with your period it is possible that you may have Endometriosis. Make an appointment with one of our Health Renewal doctors for proper assessment, we can help you.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on whatsapp

Question from MarishaAV

Hi Dr Maricia Duvenage. I am a 25 year old with endometriosis. I am on Visanne have been getting fatter…

From Galennelwe Rosebud Tsikwe-Tsoai

Good day, Dr I have a problem with hyperpigmentation. Can you recommend something to use on my face? Secondly, I…

From Tamzyn Hercules

Hi, I have digestive and heartburn problems any advice, please?

Subscribe to our newsletter