Ethnic hair is generally sensitive and can be drier and more brittle than other hair types. For hair like a diva follow our top 10 tips for ethnic hair and say goodbye to bad hair days.
2. To maintain your scalp’s good condition, use an oil spray. But remember it’s important not to use too many oils on a daily basis or your hair can become greasy. There are a number of good quality oil sprays on the market. We like Motions Oil Sheen and Conditioning Spray and the Dark and Lovely anti-breakage oil moisturiser.
3. Only wash your hair twice a week. Washing too frequently can strip your hair of its natural oils and weaken it.
4. Don’t relax your hair more than four times a year as it can cause unnecessary strain and damage to your hair. It’s also important to use a hot oil or deep moisturising treatment once every two weeks if you do relax your hair. Try Dr Miracle’s Deep Conditioning Treatment or Dark and Lovely’s new anti-breakage hair butter – it has a delicious texture!
5. To avoid a receding hairline, do not braid your hair too often or too tightly. A heavy weave can also cause this problem. The hair at the hairline is very fragile and breaks easily so it’s a good idea to give your hair a break in between plaits or weaves to give your hairline time to heal and regenerate.
6. If you want to grow your natural hair, it’s best to avoid relaxers and dyes containing ammonia and peroxide as these can all weaken your hair. You could also wear your hair in twists or dreadlocks, to protect your hair while it grows.
7. If you wear a weave remember it isn’t attached to your scalp, and doesn’t receive any of your body’s natural oil so it’s prone to dryness. Only wash it every one to two weeks and use a mild shampoo and conditioner.
8. Remember, you can only apply heat to a weave from a hair dryer or straightening iron if it’s made from 100 percent human hair. Always use the lowest setting.
9. Only keep your weave in for about two months and ideally give your natural hair time to recover between weaves. Don’t relax your hair for at least 10 days afterwards and use a conditioning hair and scalp treatment as a weave can leave your hair fragile afterwards.
10. Enjoy your hair! It might drive you crazy at times but treat it right and it will help you look every bit the diva!