By now you must have come across someone at work or even one of your friends who have jumped on the bandwagon and are now “banting.” It seems to be one of the latest diet trends to hit South Africa. Tim Noakes has definitely created some kind of craze, whether you agree with him or not. There are millions of “carb-free” bread recipes out there, but this is one we have tried and tested and really like. Remember it is not bread like you’re used to, so be open minded about it. If you are trying to “bant” and go the whole carb-free, sugar-free way then this will help your craving for that piece of bread.
Vegetable, seed and nut bread recipe
What you will need:
• 4 eggs
• 100ml olive oil/ coconut oil
• 200g ground almonds
• 100g ground hazelnuts
• 1.5 tbsp ground psyllium husk
• 400g seed mix (sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, flax)
• 25g chia seeds
• 150g shredded zucchini
• 150g shredded carrot
• Handful chopped kale / baby spinach
• Pinch of sea salt
1. Mix the eggs and oil together.
2. Add all your vegetables and mix.
3. Add your dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Put mixture into a loaf tin and bake on 160 C for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
5. Allow to cool before slicing.
6. Be adventurous and add any of the following to your mixture: feta / onion /chilli flakes.