I am a bright lip devotee. I LOVED last season’s coral colours and I don’t go anywhere without at least three to four shades of red in my purse! Right now, red lippie is big, big news. At first, wearing such a bold colour in the middle of your face can seem intimidating, but if you know how to apply it like a pro, you’ll feel confident enough to pull it off. Here’s how:
1. Firstly, you need to make sure your lips are free of dry, flaky skin, so be sure to exfoliate until they’re nice and smooth.
2. To rehydrate, apply a dab of moisturiser to your lips before blotting off any excess with a tissue. You can also pat on a little bit of foundation that will act as a primer, ensuring your lippie goes the distance.
3. Now here is where I reveal my secret weapon – my finger! Using a finger softens the colour so that it can be worn any time of the day. Grab your favourite lippie and gently dab some on your finger.
4. Apply onto your lips, starting from the middle of your lower lip, working outwards – make sure you don’t go outside the lines! Repeat the process on the top lip.
5. Now take a clean finger and tidy up any bits of colour that have strayed outside of your natural lip line – this can also be done with an ear bud that has been moistened with a bit of water.
6. Blot your lips again with a tissue and dab some more colour across your lips – this second coat should seal in the colour good and proper.
7. To ensure you don’t get any lippie on your teeth, insert your finger into your mouth, wrap your lips around it and pull it out. This will remove any lipstick that’s gotten on the inside of your mouth.
Now you’re ready to take on the world. Happy pouting!
If you’re worried that your bright shade might ‘feather’ (bleed into the tiny lines around your lips), you can make use of either a nude lip pencil or one that matches your lip colour exactly before you apply your lipstick.
Did you know?
Madonna wore MAC’s fabulous Russian Red lipstick on her ‘Blonde Ambition’ tour in 1990 and it’s still one of her firm favourites today!
I gotta admit, MAC’s Russian Red is my favourite red lippie too. It’s got just the right amount of orange pigment in it to suit my pale beige-toned complexion and when I wear it, I feel invincible.