There is very little in this world that rivals the toe-curling, spirit-lifting pleasure of an all-out spa experience. The sensations, scents and tranquil surroundings are all designed to get you as close to transcendence as you can – without shaving your head, moving to Nepal and meditating on a mountain for ten years (I don’t know about you, but I’d take a complimentary mini-mani over a packhorse any day of the week).
We’re all pleasure-seekers at heart, which is why the spa industry has become such a prosperous one – but ladies, there is absolutely no reason you can’t create a sensory sanctuary in your very own bathroom. Spa prices can be truly eye-watering, so you’ll save some bucks using products you have at home – plus you won’t have to make (and keep) an appointment! Here’s how…
It’s all about atmosphere
1. You don’t have to play humpback whale sounds on your iPod, but some soothing, low-tempo music will encourage your mind to wind down and let go of stress and anxious thoughts. Classical, ambient and meditation music are all good options. Heck, even Josh Groban, if that floats your boat.
2. Dim lighting will help to signal to your brain that it’s time to chill out and relax, so turn the harsh overhead lights off in your bathroom and light some candles instead.
3. Last but not least, you’ll want to include some form of aromatherapy. Scent has a powerful effect on our mood: the body’s limbic centre (the part of the brain that controls your emotions) is directly connected to the olfactory system. You have several options: try an aromatherapy burner, a few drops of your favourite essential oil/s in your bathwater, or an aromatherapy candle (two birds, one stone).
4. To add to your spa experience, sip on a glass of water flavoured with a few slices of lemon or cucumber to encourage your body to detox. It has the added benefit of a pleasingly virtuous ‘cleansing’ sensation. You could also get creative and make some ‘spa water’ infused with berries and mint.
5. If you want to take your relaxation to another level, do 10 or 15 minutes of yoga or stretching beforehand.
• Beauty, Emma Watson has confessed to taking up to three baths a day — notably, our water restriction won’t permit this, but treating yourself to a relaxing bath could be exactly what you need. While your bath is running, wash your face in the basin with a gentle exfoliating scrub, rinse, and pat dry.
• Now dry brush your entire body with a natural-bristle body brush or loofah, working towards the heart, to help stimulate lymph drainage and loosen dead skin cells.
• Add either some moisturising bath milk or Epsom salts to the bathwater, and then slip into your lovely hot bath (which is hopefully not too hot – you don’t want to short-circuit your blood vessels).
• Apply a facemask (the heat from the bath will help your pores to open up and absorb all those lovely active ingredients), pop a cool cucumber slice over each eyelid if you like, then lie back and soak for as long as it takes for you to get that wonderful ‘Aaaah…’ feeling. For me, this can take between five minutes and an hour if I’m reading a good book.
• Rinse off your face mask after the time advised on the directions and pat skin dry. Keep a large, thirsty towel on hand.
• Give your whole body a good going over with your favourite body scrub – the warm water will have softened your skin and loosened any dead skin cells, so don’t scrub so vigorously that you remove your entire epidermis.
• Wash as usual, and shave now if you’re going to.
• Pat yourself dry and slather on your favourite body lotion and facial moisturiser.
• Wrap up in a fluffy bathrobe and sigh, deeply and contentedly.
Win a MatsiMela Marula Nut Kalahari Bath Soak and Lip Butter
To ensure your home spa experience is nothing short of luxurious, we’re sharing the love with this invigorating bath soak and tutti fruity flavoured Marula Nut Lip Butter.
The Marula Nut moisturising bath soak is formulated with untreated crystals from an ancient underwater lake in the Kalahari Desert. Marula oil is rich in components necessary for skin, such as antioxidants, vitamins E and C, and oleic acid. Sprinkle a handful of crystals into your bath to awaken the body and the mind. Apply the lip butter for a lasting, nourishing treat for your lips.
To enter simply fill in your details below.
This competition is open to SA residents only and closes at 09:30 am on 31 March 2017. You may enter as many times as you wish if you would like to increase your chances of winning. The winners will be drawn from all the correct entrants and notified via email. This prize cannot be exchanged for cash. BeautySouthAfrica.com’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. We will not share your information with any third parties. If winners do not respond to email notification within three days, another winner will be drawn. BeautySouthAfrica.com will supply all hampers to the delivery company in good order, but will not be held liable for the condition of hampers arriving at the winners’ chosen delivery address. Please allow six to eight weeks for delivery. If you have won a prize on BeautySouthAfrica.com in the last two months, you are ineligible to win this competition.
Read the full terms and conditions of this competition here.