As we make the transition from summer to winter, it is important to think of the effect the colder temperatures have on our skin and to update our winter beauty routine accordingly. We’ve put together a list of our top beauty tips to ensure that your skin is at its best throughout the cold and dry season ahead.
- Switch to a creamier foundation that will provide your skin with extra moisture. If you don’t require full coverage, why not try a CC (complexion corrector) cream for a natural look? We love: Clarins True Radiance Foundation SPF 15, R415 and Eucerin Sun Creme Tinted CC SPF 50+, R199,99.
- Swap your powder blusher for a cream blusher to avoid drying out your skin. We love: Smashbox L.A. Lights Blendable Lip & Cheek Color, R320.
- Say goodbye to dry and chapped lips with this easy DIY lip scrub: Mix a drop of honey with a pinch of brown sugar and massage it into your lips in gentle, circular motions. After a minute simply wipe it off and apply your favourite nourishing lip balm. To avoid drying out your newly buffed lips, switch your lipgloss for a tinted balm. We love: Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Lip Protectant Stick, R215 and Gluki Organics Lip Balm, R65.
- Switch your bright summer nail varnish shades for darker shades such a deep reds, dark browns, matte greys and blacks. We love: Essence The Gel Nail Polish collection, R24.95 and Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy Nail Enamel, R119. All offer a wide variety of the hottest winter colours.
- Sunscreen is just as important in winter as it is in summer, so when purchasing a moisturiser or foundation, opt for a product that contains an SPF. Alternatively, include a sunscreen in your morning beauty routine. We love: Bioderma Photoderm Tinted Aqua Fluid SPF50+, R219 and Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 50, R370.
- To ensure that your skin stays extra moisturised, add a hydrating facial oil or serum to your daily skin care routine. Facial serums are available in a variety of formulas to ensure that there is a serum suitable for all skin types. Make sure you apply it to damp skin and allow to absorb into the skin for five minutes before applying moisturiser. We love: Clarins Bright Plus Tri-Intensive Brightening Serum, R660, Environ Evenescence C-Boost Clarifying Cream, R355 (RSP) and Placecol Moisture Hold Intense Moisture retention, R280.
- While an extra hot shower or bath may seem like the perfect way to combat the cold, the extreme heat strips your skin of its natural moisture. Switch your usual body wash for a creamier formula and use a body scrub every other day to remove dry skin. We love: Dove Deeply Nourishing Bodywash with Nutrium Moisture, R34,99, Sh’zen Natural Tissue Shower Oil, R249, and Sorbet Sensual Polish Up Salt Scrub, R45.
- Keep your hands hydrated this winter with an ultra moisturising hand cream that’ll keep them soft throughout the day. We love: Eucerin Dry Skin Intensive Hand Cream 5% Urea, R119,99, and Revlon Nail Care De-Aging Hand Cream with SPF 10, R135.
- As with your skin, hair also requires additional moisture to keep it healthy in winter. To keep your hair looking its best, include a deep treatment in your hair care routine, avoid washing your hair “too hot” water and always treat your hair to a heat protection spray before heat styling. We love: Dove Pure Care Dry Oil for Hair, R179,99 and Kardashian Beauty Black Seed Oil Liquid Hydration Oil, R450.