You got problems? We’ve got (natural) remedies!
• Aloe vera gel is a great anti-inflammatory and has a soothing, healing effect on eczema. If you have an aloe vera plant at home, even better! Simply pick a leaf, squeeze out some gel and apply as needed.
• Virgin coconut oil also has soothing, healing properties and will prevent your skin from drying out. Apply a little after you’ve rubbed in some aloe vera.
• Omega 3 essential fatty acids are also believed to help reduce inflammation in the body. Try to eat three servings of oily fish a week, such as tuna, mackerel, sardines and salmon, or take a fish oil supplement. Drink plenty of water as well to stay hydrated from the inside out.
• Aloe vera, as mentioned above, is excellent for soothing and healing angry skin, and as such is an effective balm for acne.
• You might also want to try a honey-cinnamon treatment: honey is a natural antibacterial (one of acne’s causes is an overgrowth of bacteria), and cinnamon is an anti-inflammatory that has anti-microbial properties and can halt the growth of bacteria and fungi. Mix honey and ground cinnamon until you have a thick paste, apply to the affected area and leave on overnight.
• You might also want to try a yoghurt-turmeric face mask, as both have excellent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Yoghurt is also rich in zinc, which is commonly known to aid in the healing of acne blemishes. Apply to clean skin for 20 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
Here are two easy-to-make anti-ageing face masks that pack a wrinkle fighting punch. Apply each once a week for maximum benefit.
Vitamin E mask
Vitamin E is known to help skin regenerate, while yoghurt contains lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid that helps to smooth rough, dry skin and prevent premature ageing such as fine lines, wrinkles and age spots. Lemon juice tightens pores, and honey has moisturising properties.
2 capsules vitamin E
1 tablespoon full fat yogurt
½ tablespoon honey
½ tablespoon lemon juice
Empty the capsules into a small bowl and combine with the other ingredients. Mix well to combine. Apply the mixture on your face for 15 minutes, then rinse off with lukewarm water. (TIP: If you have hypoallergenic skin, leave out the lemon juice, as it may irritate your skin.)
Turmeric face mask
Turmeric is packed with antioxidants that help to slow the skin ageing process – just one of a whole host of skincare benefits (for this reason fresh turmeric is first prize, but powder works too). Sour cream helps to impart and lock in moisture, and also contains lactic acid to gently smooth skin and improve texture.
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ tablespoon honey
½ tablespoon sour cream
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Apply for 15 minutes, then rinse off with lukewarm water. Make sure to clean your eyebrows and the opening of your nostrils. Now, turn the water ice cold, and rinse off a second time to close the pores.
Lemon juice is a safe and effective skin-lightening agent – it has natural bleaching properties and has long been used as a home remedy to help fade sun spots. Apply lemon juice directly to the area you wished lightened with a cotton bud. Rinse off after 15 minutes if your skin becomes irritated. Repeat twice a day for the best results. You should be able to notice a difference after two weeks.
TIP: Apple cider vinegar can also be used instead of lemon juice.