Looking for the perfect healthy hummus recipe? We’ve found it! Borrowed from Healthyish, a recipe ebook created by Joburg-based food and lifestyle content creator, Nicky Barber (also the brain behind Delicious Monster), this recipe is not only delicious, but it’s really healthy too! Healthyish features ten delectable vegetarian and vegan snack recipes.
Creamy Chickpea Hummus
VEGETARIAN | VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE | SERVES AT LEAST 2
Mmmm. Hummus. The creamier, the better – which is why you need to cook the chickpeas in their aquafaba (that’s the liquid they come in), along with baking powder, until they’re falling apart. You’ll need a food processor, stand or stick blender for this recipe. You’ll also need to like garlic, and eating hummus with a spoon like me.
1 tin chickpeas, including aquafaba 1-2 cups water
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup tahini
1 clove garlic
1 lemon, zested and juiced 1/2 tsp cumin
salt & black pepper, to taste olive oil, to serve
1. In a pot over a medium-high heat, place the chickpeas, their aquafaba (canning liquid), baking powder and enough extra water to just cover the chickpeas.
2. Cook chickpeas for 20-30 minutes, until they begin to crumble and break apart.
3. Drain the chickpeas but reserve about 1/2 a cup of the cooking liquid (you’ll need this again in a bit), and allow chickpeas to cool slightly for about 10 minutes.
4. Place the tahini, garlic, lemon zest and juice, cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until coarsely pureed.
5. Add the chickpeas and blend until smooth.
6. Slowly add about a 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid and continue blending until fully combined. If you want your hummus to be a little thinner, add more liquid but be careful not to make it too thin.
7. Check for seasoning and adjust to taste with more lemon juice, cumin, salt or pepper if needed.
Spoon into a shallow bowl, make a well in the centre with the back of a spoon and drizzle with olive oil before serving.
My favourite way to eat hummus is with a spoon while standing in the kitchen, but if you prefer sitting and are wanting more of a substantial snack then add a few 80s veg sticks like carrots, celery and cucumber. Also delicious eaten with Herby Baked Falaf.
Hummus makes a great sandwich spread, especially paired with cheese and tomato. You can also use hummus to make a creamy salad dressing by adding a few spoonfuls to a jar or bottle, adding sunflower or olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper. Shake vigorously to emulsify and use as needed.
Crispy Spiced Chickpeas, chopped flat leaf parsley, smoked paprika, cumin, sliced red onion, lemon juice,
Healthyish is Nicky’s second recipe e-book. Visit Delicious Monster here to view more of her delicious recipes, or to purchase your copy.
Three lucky readers will each win a recipe e-book bundle including The Isolated Kitchen (20+ recipes that make use of pantry staples and basic ingredients) and Healthyish (10 vegetarian and vegan snack recipes that make use of healthy ingredients), worth R310. To enter, complete and submit the form below.
This competition has now closed.
This competition is open to SA residents only and closes at 21:00 on 13 June 2020. Only one entry per participant will be taken into account for the prize draw. The winners will be drawn from all the correct entrants and notified via email. This prize cannot be exchanged for cash. BeautySouthAfrica.com’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. If winners do not respond to email notification within three days, another winner will be drawn. BeautySouthAfrica.com will supply all hampers to the delivery company in good order, but will not be held liable for the condition of hampers arriving at the winners’ chosen delivery address. Please allow six to eight weeks for delivery. If you have won a prize on BeautySouthAfrica.com in the last two months, you are ineligible to win this competition.
Read the full terms and conditions of this competition here.
Finding out we are pregnant mid lockdown (infertile for 18 years!!) I am in need of healthy recipes and this hummus recipe hit the spot! Thank you.
Added olive to thin it down and served it as a sauce with fish – absolutely perfect – thank you!
Made this Hummus – love it! great recipe for vegetarian – succumbed to temptation and ate it all!