Sunscreen is the single best thing that you can do for your skin on a daily basis. According to skincare specialists around the world, up to 80 percent of signs of photoageing like brown spots and wrinkles occur due to the sun’s UV rays. SPF helps protect our skin from this UV damage, which can also cause more serious conditions like skin cancer. SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor, and is a measure to determine how well sunscreen is able to shield against UV rays.
Contrary to some beliefs, a powerful SPF should be applied to the skin anytime you step outside, regardless of the season. Sun damage does not only occur in the sunny seasons. Your skin can absorb harmful UV rays even in winter. Sunscreen is an everyday thing! Knowing what damages your skin and why applying an SPF is so important, all comes down to skintelligence (skin intelligence) and knowing the education behind it all.
Kevin Khosa, Customer Service Manager at SKIN functional says, “There are three types of harmful rays you need to protect your skin against. (1) UVA rays can penetrate your skin more deeply and cause your skin cells to age prematurely and worsen pigmentation. About 95 percent of the UV rays that reach the ground are UVA rays. The other 5 percent of UV rays are UVB. (2) UVB rays are the most dangerous for the skin. They have higher energy levels than UVA rays, and typically damage the outermost layers of your skin, causing sunburn. (3) Infared rays are what makes the sun warm and is also part of the electromagnetic spectrum. People encounter Infrared waves every day; the human eye cannot see it, but humans can detect it as heat. For example: A remote control uses light waves just beyond the visible spectrum of light—infrared light waves—to change channels on your TV. These are aren’t too dangerous as they are very very low power. Important to note that the sun contains all three of these harmful rays.”
Now that we know the types of harmful rays, how do you choose the correct sunscreen/SPF to use to ensure your skin is protected? There are two types of sunscreens that you need to know about:
- Mineral, also known as inorganic filters
- Chemical, also known as organic filters
Mineral sunscreen works by reflecting sun energy and chemical sunscreen works by absorbing sun energy. In order to achieve longer protection from the sun you need to know the SPF strengths and what they mean. The number in the SPF is a ratio. SPF 15, 20, 30, 50 all have the same physical protection within the burn time. Burn time is classified as the time you start damaging cells. It is important to note that every single skin has a different burn time. SPF 50 has a longer protection time until the burn time than SPF 30, for example.
NEW BROAD SPECTRUM SPF!
Finding the right SPF product that helps protect the skin against all three harmful rays, that also isn’t too thick and oily and doesn’t leave a white cast on the skin, can be difficult, to say the least! That is why SKIN functional has created it’s brand new SPF 50. This SPF is a chemical, broad spectrum SPF that provides protection against UVA and UVB while giving you anti-ageing and anti-oxidant benefits. This product is a light weight sunscreen that is not oily and doesn’t leave you with that dreaded white cast.
This UVA + UVB protection Sunscreen SPF 50 is independently tested and approved for an SPF rating of 50 and is also fragrance and cruelty-free. The product is suitable for all skin types. Bid farewell to sunburn, red, dry and pigmented skin and step outside with peace of mind knowing that your skin has its shield of armour, protecting it where ever you go. Remember, protect your skin today to reap the benefits when you are older. Sun damage occurs over time, so it’s never too late to start incorporating an SPF into your daily skincare routine. Better late than never we say!
For more information on this product, click here. SKIN Functional Sunscreen SPF 50 retails for R150-00 and is available on www.skinfunctional.com.
Follow SKIN Functional on social media:
This post was sponsored by SKIN Functional.
Wow this sounds like a really good product. I am looking for something new so I need to try this
I would really love to try this, I’m always using sunblock everyday.
I already use their products and I am looking forward to trying the sunscreen out!
I burn quickly and because I run am exposed to the sun alot. Would love to try it out
Wow this looks lime fabulous fun in the sun product.i would love to try this amazing product to test and share with my friends.godbless and thank u
Sounds perfect for the South African summers especially down here in Durban where I start burning within ten if I’m out in the sun
I’ve had sun stroke a few times so this sounds like the answer!!!!!
will love to try it
Sounds like a great product – will definitely give it a try :)