Diffusers have a unique way of adding character to a room. They’re attractive, yes, and have a way of instilling calm simply by their presence, but it’s their ability to connect us with the health benefits of essential oils that make them truly special. We asked Kobus du Plessis, Managing Partner for Organic Aromas South Africa, a few questions about the use of essential oils in diffusers.
What are the benefits of using essential oils in a diffuser in the home?
The benefits of essential oils are undeniable. Aromatherapy has been around for thousands of years and stems back to prehistoric times and was used for medicinal, culinary and cosmetic purposes. Apart from the many well-researched and documented health benefits of essential oils, there are numerous practical uses for essential oils in your home.
Diffusing essential oils is a way to naturally purify and freshen the air. Certain oils have antiviral, antifungal as well as antibacterial properties, therefore, don’t only mask the strongest odours but also destroy bacteria, antigens and dust particles.
All homes have their own fragrance, but often homes can smell musky, especially during winter months, and nobody wants that. You can make your own signature fragrance by mixing extracts together and diffusing your blend around your home, ensuring to always maintain a welcoming atmosphere for guests and yourself.
Furthermore, many essential oils can be used as a natural disinfectant, to fight fungus at home, to repel mosquitos, flies and fleas, to neutralize pet odours and even to deodorize stinky shoes!
What is the difference between a nebulizing diffuser and a regular diffuser?
The nebulizing essential oil diffuser by Organic Aromas is truly one of a kind, a beautifully handmade functional work of art.
Unlike traditional oil diffusers like plastic ultrasonic diffusers, oils lamps, candle diffusers, or aroma heaters, the nebulizing diffuser atomizes the essential oil by pressurized air technology without using heat or water, which leaves you with only cold, pure, essential oil mist. Water and heat dilute and alter the chemical composition of essential oils. Essential oils are very strong and disintegrate plastics, but since the Organic Aromas diffuser is manufactured out of Pyrex glass and a hardwood base the essential oils do not get contaminated by any toxins in plastic.
What are some of the most important do’s and don’ts when using a diffuser and essential oils?
This is a good and important question. Firstly, the most important thing to do is to, DO use your nebulizing diffuser! Indulge, enjoy it, play around with making your own blends and learn about essential oils and their countless benefits and uses. We promise you will love it, and your body will love you!
That being said, here are a few guidelines to follow.
1) Buy your essential oils from a reputable source. The oils offered by Organic Aromas are 100% pure without any additives and get tested by a 3rd party laboratory in Montreal, Canada. We are not saying that we are the only company that offers above-average quality oil but we are saying that there are a lot of garbage on the market that are being advertised as pure when this is often far from the truth. It’s not a claim, we know, we’ve had the tests done.
2) Always dilute essential oils properly with carrier oils like jojoba or coconut oil before contact with the skin.
3) Essential oils should not be applied on or around the eyes.
4) Essential oils are amazing but good oils are very strong. Be mindful of diffusing them around pregnant women and children under the age of 3 years.
5) Always place the diffuser at least two meters away from your body.
6) In small areas, use the diffuser on LOW volume and switch it off when the scent gets too strong.
7) The pump in the diffuser makes a subtle hum sound. Place the unit on something solid and firm. If the diffuser is on a hollow, thin or flimsy surface, the vibration from the diffuser pump could actually cause the surface it is sitting on to make an audible sound! To muffle this soft whisper even further, place the diffuser on a piece of cloth or rubber mat.
8) If any oil is spilled on the diffuser, wipe it up immediately.
9) Clean your diffuser twice a month. Cleaning instructions can be found in the user manual or on our YouTube channel. This only takes a few minutes.
10) If oils are left in the unit for long periods, the oils could oxidize and thicken or become stale therefore could clog up your diffuser. If this happens, clean the diffuser before use.
Our editor put the Organic Aromas Raindrop Nebulizing Diffuser to the test. Here’s what she thought.
Our editor’s review
I’m a collector of home fragrance products: diffusers, candles, incense, oil burners, you name it. I love a beautifully scented home, and I love using essential oils. I find it so amazing that you can set a mood with just a few drops of oil – be it a relaxing setting with sleep-inducing lavender oil, or a focus-driven corner in your office with uplifting lemon oil.
I was incredibly excited to try one of the Organic Aromas Nebulizing Diffusers as, not only do they look beautiful online, but they also work differently to other diffusers – they don’t use heat or water. I chose “Raindrop”, a beautifully shaped diffuser with a light wood base (I later found out that the wooden base is hand-made and the glass is custom-blown).
The diffuser arrived beautifully packaged in a box with an instruction manual and a bottle of essential oil. First things first – I was SO pleased to see that the diffuser is very simple to use. I simply had to attach the glass diffuser to the wooden base and use the dropper provided to insert 20 – 25 drops of oil into the diffuser. A little glass top is then inserted into the opening of the diffuser, and then it’s ready to be used.
Once it’s plugged in, you just turn the dial on the front of the diffuser to switch it on. You can intensify the amount of oil diffused by turning the dial further in a clock-wise direction (this controls how much oil is diffused). It has a beautiful LED light that changes colour every few seconds, and a touch sensor switch that enables you to turn the light on or off with just a quick swipe of a finger.
It has a usage cycle of two minutes on, one minute off, and after two hours it automatically switches off.
I’ve been using my diffuser in my living / dining room, which is a large open plan area, and the scent travels throughout the whole room. When you walk into the living room from another room, the fragrance immediately catches your attention. The Organic Aromas essential oil I received definitely seems more potent than some of the other brands of essential oils I use regularly.
The design of this diffuser is so practical because it is extremely quiet, so it won’t disrupt your work, phone calls or Zoom meetings! And on top of that, it’s worth mentioning again that the product is beautifully designed, and serves as a beautiful decorative piece in your home. The sparkling rainbow LED carousel light helps create an enchanting and relaxing atmosphere.
– Anien, Editor
The Raindrop diffuser is available on https://organicaromas.co.za/.