What is bronzer?
Bronzer is a must-have item in any girl’s make-up bag. Not only will it make your skin look sun-kissed, it can also wake up tired, pasty skin. Keep in mind you might need a different shade in winter than in summer as your skin shade will probably be darker in summer.
How to choose the right bronzer for your skin
There are plenty of different types of bronzers available on the market today, which you can find in the form of powder, cream or liquid. Take a look at the table below which will recommend which bronzer you should use for your skin type.
Skin Type Bronzer
Normal skin Which ever you prefer –
liquid; cream; or pressed
or loose powder.
Oily skin Pressed or loose powder –
powder will absorb excess
Dry skin Cream or liquid
Combination skin Pressed or loose powder
Sensitive skin Mineral bronzing powder
When it comes to finding a shade that is right for you and won’t leave you looking like the Oros man, make-up artists suggest going for a shade one or two darker than your natural skin tone. Ask a make-up artist to test it on you first if you’re not sure. A great way to pick your shade is based on how you tan naturally. In the end you want your skin to look warm and sun-kissed.
How to apply bronzer
To get the perfect bronzed finish you need the correct tools. When applying powder bronzers investing in a good, chunky bronzing brush will give the best distribution. If you are going to be using a cream or liquid bronzer, you should use your fingers for the best possible application.
1. After applying your foundation and allowing it to dry, swirl your bronzing brush in your bronzer a couple of times.
2. Get rid of any excess powder by tapping the base of your brush.
3. Lightly apply the bronzer where the sun would naturally hit. The easiest way is to make a number three starting along your forehead and going onto your cheeks and down your jaw line. Repeat on the other side.
4. Remember to extend the application down to your neck for an even look. Dab a little on your chin and nose to finish off.
5. If you want to define your cheekbones more, smile when applying the bronzer, to make your cheekbones more prominent. You can go over the area more than once to get the desired look.
We love: Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick, R515; Physicians Formula Summer Eclipse Radiant Bronzing Powder, R175; Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Bronzing Powder, R260; Mac Bronzer, R220.
When using your fingers, remember to blend it in well. You don’t want to be left looking like a clown.
1. Squeeze a dab of liquid bronzer on the tips of your fingers that is about the size of a grain of rice. Rub your fingers together to blend the colour and warm it up.
2. Apply the bronzer to the apples of your cheeks. Using a circular motion, blend the liquid bronzer into your skin, starting at the bottom of your cheek.
3. Gently work the colour up towards your hairline, narrowing it as you approach. Apply the excess colour onto your nose and chin.
4. Dust your face with a translucent powder when done to finish off the look.
We love: Inglot AMC face and body bronzer, R329.
Remember when it comes to bronzer – less is more! You can always start off lightly and gradually build the colour up.
I can’t wait fot the summer so that I can pull all my bronzing products out of the cupboard!
Love Bobbi Brown shimmer stick too!
Just can’t get enough of bronzer!
I love the BB shimmer block