Say ‘nite-nite’ to dark circles and dull, tired skin. BeautyHeaven let’s us in on the secrets to faking a good night’s sleep.
It can be hard to get the recommended eight hours of beauty sleep we need each night, but just because you left that deadline to the last minute or stayed up a little past your bedtime doesn’t mean you have to show it. Here are a few simple steps to leave you looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed so that your friends, family and colleagues are none the wiser.
1. If you can handle it – start with a cold shower (or lukewarm at least). Not only will it make you feel more awake, it also stimulates blood circulation through the body. If you’re stuck for time, be sure to still splash your face with cold water and use a mild brightening exfoliating scrub to help reduce dullness and puffiness.
2. Your eyes are the telltale sign of a serious lack of sleep. Applying a cooling eye cream each morning can reduce puffiness and dark circles. Alternatively, a quick fix to mask dark circles is to use a concealer slightly lighter than your skin tone. Tip: ensure it’s a creamy, light-reflective formula for that extra brightening boost.
3. To avoid the appearance of dull skin, mix some illuminating cream into a lightweight foundation or tinted moisturiser to add a bit of a glow to your complexion. A heavy formula will accentuate fine lines and flaws, and can leave you looking washed out.
4. Use an eyelash curler to open up your eyes, try to avoid a thick, volumising mascara and opt for a curling, lengthening one instead. Applying eye shadow can draw unwanted attention to your tired eyes – instead, apply a hint of shimmer cream in the hollow of the inner corners of your eyes for a revived and refreshed look.
5. Finish your look by faking a natural flush by sweeping a cream blush on to the highest point of the apples of your cheeks and blending. Adding a hint of colour to your cheeks will prevent you from looking drained and also deflect any hints of darkness and puffiness.
Written by Lauren, this article originally appeared on BeautyHeaven.