Take special care of your hair during the harsh winter months. Here are some tips from the Dark & Lovely hair experts.
- Preserve or add moisture to your hair and adopt a hair care regimen that puts as little stress as possible on your hair.
- Deep condition your hair weekly to replenish moisture.
- Hot oil treatments are also a good way to prevent flakiness and keep your hair and scalp healthy and nourished. Stay away from products that coat the hair as this will make the dryness worse.
- Switch things up by opting for a protective hairstyle like braids and cornrows during winter. Avoid braids that are tight especially around your hairline. Don’t keep your braids in for longer than 3 weeks and take breaks between braid styles to give your hair a rest.
- A good night time routine is important, especially during winter. Apply product to the mid-lengths and ends and cover your hair with a satin scarf. This will trap your body heat and help the product to penetrate into the hair shaft.
- If you don’t or can’t wrap your hair, sleep on a satin pillowcase because a cotton one will suck the moisture out of your hair.
Coconut Oil heated applied once a week to my hair. Leave it on for a few hours then shampoo wash. Inexpensive and works wonders for me.
I am trying to have a good winter routine for my hair, I have one for my face. Right now good old braids are my go to and I don’t cover my hair in the shower so that it can get the steam I think it helps(I keep it away from the water).
Great tips! I also use extra moisture during winter, but the problem is my scalp usually gets oily quick while the rest of my hair is on the dry side.
i always try to keep my hands moisturized, dry hands is probably one of the worst feelings ever.