Do you remember your father studying his wrinkles in the mirror, applying sunscreen every morning, using a moisturiser at night? No? Back then it wasn’t the norm for men to care too much about grey hairs and wrinkles. But today it’s a different story.
The cleanse, tone, moisturise routine is no longer something strictly reserved for women and metrosexual men – it’s now quite normal for the most rugged, bearded men to have a grooming regime. Beauty houses such as Clinique, Elemis, Kiehl’s, L’Oréal and more have launched complete ranges targeted specifically for men, ranges that include the regular products (cleansers and moisturisers) as well as scrubs, eye creams and anti-ageing serums. Most of these products are geared towards a speedy routine – they’re quick and easy to apply, minimising hassle and hours spent in the bathroom, which is what most men like to avoid.
So why are men more concerned about their appearance today than ever before? The role models they look up to – be they sportsmen or actors – have a part to play. Take David Beckham for example. He’s one of the greatest soccer players in the world, he’s covered in tattoos and he isn’t shy to reveal that he’s into grooming in a big way. The same goes for Formula 1 driver Jenson Button who was spokesman for Head & Shoulders shampoo, and Hollywood hunk Brad Pitt, who has confessed to getting regular facials. Also, the harsh effects of sun damage have become a scary reality; skin cancer is rife and those men who spend a lot of time outdoors (hiking, cycling, surfing, running) have realised that protecting their skin is important, not only for now but for the future.
Here’s a breakdown of the top five products every man should have on his bathroom shelf:
1. Face wash. It’s essential to wash away the day to keep skin looking its best. Try Lab Series Multi-Action Face Wash or Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash.
2. Moisturiser. Choose one suited to your skin type and ensure it contains SPF, such as Clinique Skin Supplies For Men M Protect SPF 21.
3. Face scrub. To be used once or twice a week, to deep clean pores and give your skin a healthy glow. Try L’Oreal Men Expert Pure & Matte Scrub.
4. Shaving cream or beard treatment. Avoid nasty shaving rashes with Elemis Men Skin Soothe Shave Gel, and keep your beard from being too bristly by using a bit of conditioner when you shower.
5. Hair gel / wax. A good haircut and neatly styled hair will instantly take you from scruffy to suave. Chat to your hairdresser about the best product for your hair type.
Now go forth and get grooming!