Liquid eyeliner is one of the most commonly feared beauty products. Those who have mastered it never look back, but to those who have never tried it (or tried it once and were unsuccessful), it is best avoided. We believe that anyone can master the art of applying liquid eyeliner, so we’ve put together our top tips for getting it right:
- If you generally have an unsteady hand or you are prone to spilling and messing your make-up, opt for a felt tip liquid liner rather than the traditional brush. It makes application a bit easier for first time or inexperienced users.
- Find yourself having to constantly redo? Simply use a pencil liner to help you create the perfect look and finish off with liquid liner.
- With your pen held firmly in your hand, rest your palm on your cheek. This position will help keep your grip steady.
- Place the fingers of your other hand just below your brow bone and gently pull your skin upwards and slightly outwards. Making it more taut will allow you to draw a neater line.
- Starting in the middle of your top eyelid and working outwards, draw small stipple lines or dots with your liner, as close to your eyelid as possible.
- Continue with the same motion moving from the centre of your eyelid to the inner corner.
- Carefully connect the thin lines until your entire lid is neatly lined.
- If it’s too subtle and you prefer a thicker line, carefully thicken the existing line by drawing on its border.
- For a cat eye, add a gentle flick to your beautifully lined lids. Start at the most outward part of your top eyelid and angle the line towards the outermost part of your eyebrow. Use scotch tape to guide you, if need be.
- If you’re doing full eye makeup that includes both liner and eyeshadow, apply your shadow first. It creates a dry base for the liquid liner.
Apply your liner with as much confidence as it takes to rock this bold look, you’ve got this! For more tips and tricks, try these unconventional beauty hacks.
How many of you consider yourselves liquid eyeliner pros? Share your tips below!
Love the look of liquid liner, but just can not keep my hands from shaking while applying it.
Love the step-by-step instructions! Makes it so much less stressful by breaking it down into simple movements
I don’t think I could ever master liquid liner. Way too clumsy lol
Oh my gosh!!! The eyeliner in the above picture is gorgeous! It’s very tricky to get your eyeliner like that. Great tips, thank you!
I am the WORST at applying eyeliner. I can’t seem to get it right. I’m going to study this article and I’m going sit down with my eyeliner, and plenty of cotton buds and make-up remover.
I absolutely love this look but I can never do it because everytime I do after like an hour or two the eyeliner is all under my eyes so I dont even wear kohl,
I have tried waterproof and I have still had the same issue. This is an awesome look!!!!
Great tips I’ve been using eyeliner on my upper eye for as long as I can remember. However, I apply mine from left to right, I have a steady hand so it looks great. I will be trying from the centre as of tomorrow morning. As maybe this could enhance the eyeliner, even more, making it look flawless. Thanks for the tips (especially point 5).
Practice makes perfect! After a few tries in front of the mirror I’ve finally perfected the Cat Eye! It just add an extra fierceness to your make up look!
I love doing the whole cat eye thing I think its super sexy and sophisticated – it just completes the “look”
It takes practice! But it’s safe to say that I think I finally got it. The placing of the dots really helped to get the feel of what I was planning on doing until I didn’t need them anymore. And I still use the scotch tape to achieve that perfectly straight cat wing every time! Xx