An ancient food that originally grew along the coastlines of North Africa, Asia and Europe, beetroot is not only delicious in taste – it’s filled with a variety of nutrients that are great for your skin!
How does beetroot benefit your skin?
– It has a high level of antioxidants.
Antioxidants help fight free radicals that break down collagen and improve the elasticity of the skin.
– It’s a natural detoxifier
By helping cleanse your blood and improving circulation, it gives the skin a healthy glow.
– It helps treat breakouts
The powerful combination of nutrients like potassium, iron and vitamins are known to help treat and prevent breakouts.
Incorporate beetroot into your diet with this scrumptious recipe:
Tasty beetroot salad
(courtesy of allrecipes.com)
6 large beets, trimmed
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 package baby spinach leaves
2 tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 avocados – peeled, pitted, and cut into bite-sized pieces
½ red onion, chopped, or to taste
1 container crumbled feta cheese
½ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, or more to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
2. Place the beets into a large bowl, and drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
3. Lay out 2 large squares of aluminum foil on a work surface, and place 3 beets onto the center of each sheet. Fold the aluminum foil into 2 envelopes, sealing the beets into the packets; place the packets into a baking dish.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until tender, 1 to 1 ½ hours. Check for tenderness after 1 hour by piercing a beet with a fork. Open the foil, and allow the beets to cool until they can be handled; peel, and slice.
5. Lay out the spinach leaves on a serving platter. Sprinkle pieces of tomato and avocado over the spinach leaves, and top with chopped red onion.
6. Lay the sliced warm beets over the salad, and top with crumbled feta cheese.
7. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, ½ cup of olive oil, and Dijon mustard until smooth; pour over the salad to serve.