You may vaguely remember the term “chlorophyll” from biology class, but did you know that this “green” ingredient boasts a wide range of health benefits when ingested? Present in plants, chlorophyll is a green pigment that assists in the process of photosynthesis (essentially helping the plant grow and be healthy).
But enough of the sciency stuff – how can you benefit from taking liquid or capsuled chlorophyll?
1. Our blood consists of approximately 75% haemoglobin, and amazingly, chlorophyll’s molecular structure is almost identical to that of haemoglobin. The only difference? Haemoglobin’s centre atom is iron, while chorophyll’s is magnesium. This means that chlorophyll helps rebuild and replenish our red blood cells, which is essential for a healthy body.
2. It has incredible antioxidant properties and high levels of vitamins A, C and E.
3. Chlorophyll protects the body from harmful carcinogens by inhibiting them. Certain studies have also shown chlorophyll to help in preventing cancer.
4. It helps minimise body odour and bad breath. Studies have shown that people who ingested chlorophyll had less bad body odour, due to its deodorizer properties! In terms of bad breath, it not only masks the odour, but it assists in a healthy digestive tract, which is often the source of bad breath.
5. It helps get your cravings and hunger under control. Tests show that when you eat a meal containing chlorophyll, your blood sugar levels remain more stable, and you don’t get hungry as quickly.
So by now you’re convinced, but where can you actually get this potent superfood from? Most health shops sell chlorophyll in either liquid or tablet form – this is a good place to start looking. Chlorophyll is abundant in leaves, so try eat as many dark green leafy veggies as possible, such as spinach. Garden cress and fresh parsley are good options too.