With the holidays coming to end and a new school year about to start, we’ve chosen our favourite school-appropriate hairstyles. Not only are these hairstyles easy to achieve, but they are also guaranteed to get you an A+ in the beauty department!
1. Who doesn’t love a sleek plait? While it’s practical as your hair is kept out of your face, it can also be accessorised with a hair ribbon to give it a more feminine touch. The key to creating this sleek plait is to treat your hair with a smoothing serum. Once you have applied serum, gather your hair to one side at the nape of your neck and create a simple plait. Spice up the look by adding a neutral coloured ribbon or Alice band.
We love: ghd Smooth and Finish Serum, R180
2. If you prefer your hair to be slightly messy, why not try this gorgeous low chignon? Add some texture to your hair with a texturising spray to give it a slightly “lived-in” feel. We love this look styled with a deep side parting, but you could also wear it in a middle parting if you prefer.
We love: Toni&Guy Sea Salt Texturizing Spray, R199.99
3. Calling all darker skinned ladies. While there are countless braids & weaves you could rock, we think this au-natural look is gorgeous.
We love: Dark & Lovely Amla Legend Damage Anti-dote Oil Moisturiser, R27.55
4. If you prefer to keep your hair out of your face, why not try this gorgeous ballerina bun? With the hair donut now readily available, anyone can create a bun with va-va-volume! The trick to this hairstyle is to keep it sleek – as much as we love a good messy bun, a groomed bun is more appropriate for school.
We love: TRESemmé Salon Finish Extra Hold Hairspray, R71.99
5. A big hair trend in 2013, we think the low ponytail is here to stay. The beauty of this ponytail is that it can be worn with any parting. While any hair texture can wear this look, it looks best on straight hair. If you are straightening your hair, remember to use a heat protection spray to protect your gorgeous locks from heat damage.
We love: Pantene Repair & Protect Heat Defence Gloss Spray, R64.99
Images courtesy of Vogue.co.uk & FashionGoneRogue.com